Friday, July 13, 2018

Team Kenya - Day “One” - Blair

Today was our first day at a school - St. David's Kinship Academy. We were greeted with a warm welcome! After formal introductions and performances they did for us, we took a break and went outside. I was giving the children high fives and shaking their hands. I squatted down to get at their eye level and all of a sudden I had 20-30 kids feeling my hair. They thought that was pretty funny. They laughed really hard when I swung my ponytail side to side. They sang songs and even danced for us today. It was so cool!!! Nolting taught the teachers today. Quade taught a lesson on creation today. While he did that with one group, the rest of us taught songs to the other group. Today we did Jesus Loves Me, The B-I-B-L-E, and This little light of mine. To top it off we taught them the Hokey Pokey and If You're Happy And You Know it. We even had visitors hanging in the windows today (kids from the village that are not students at that school). I pray the Lord used that as a opportunity to witness. We all had a fun time. Balloons were a big hit today but also a learning experience to find a better way to distribute things. I'll take the blame for that one. We had lunch with Pastor Enosh and his wife and two of the male teachers.  The teachers had a really good time taking pictures with my camera today and we all enjoyed volleying around a soccer ball while the students went home for lunch. 

The landscape is very green. There are fields of sugar cane, tea, banana trees, corn, a special type of grass for the cows, etc. While there is A LOT of plant life, you don't see many colors other than yellow flowers and orange flowers that grow on a tree. 

Motorcycles are common transportation. They are called borda borda (border border) and I'm not sure if I spelled that right. I'm learning more and more Swahili every day but not really sure how to spell most of it. We drive on the "wrong" side of the road and no dotted lines are needed on the roads for permission to pass....they do that freely and often. We are all exhausted from a super fun, exciting, blessed day. God is good. All the time. That's all for now. 

Blair Sydow 


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment