Saturday, July 14, 2018

Team Kenya - Tabaka Soapstone - Blair

Had the coolest experience today in Tabaka!! It's the soapstone capitol of the world. We had an impromptu personal tour of everything from the caves where they get the rock from (given recents events I declined the invite into the cave), he carved me a piece as we walked and talked. He had me carve on it some as well. Then he showed me how to sand paper it because that is the woman's job. While I did that, he got out all the different tools that they use and demonstrated what they were all used for. I asked him if he could carve words on it. He said he could and asked what I wanted. The Lord opened an opportunity to share the gospel! Since the man's name was John and the rock was carved in the shape of a heart, I requested John 3:16. I asked him if he knew it and shared the words of the passage. He knew some of them. Then he took us into his brother's house and waxed it. The whole experience was just an unexpected blessing! The children in the town were also very excited to see mzungu (white people). After accidentally scaring a boy with my "Jambo" and extended hand for a handshake (he did laugh after he realized I was only trying to be friendly), he returned with probably 10 more friends who wanted handshakes. One young boy taught me how to play with his toy - what appeared to be the rim of a 5 gallon bucket and a stick that you use to keep it rolling down the street. I think my attempts were quite amusing to the kids as they stood nearby giggling. As they say here "God is good all the time. All the time God is good. That is His nature."

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment